What is a Dry Herb Vape Pen?
Dry Herb Vape Pens are making a move into the market more and more in the recent years. Providing a much easier and safer method for medicinal or recreational (where legal) use of dry herbs. Taking advantage of technology found in the more common E-Liquid vape pens you have the ability to heat your aromatherapy dry herbs in the device without combustion;
The standard Dry Herb Vape Pen consists of 3 main sections, here's the purpose of each of them:
- Battery/MOD – Normally hosting an adjustable wattage feature this gives the user the ability to have more control over the power going into the heating chamber. Having control over the wattage of the battery/MOD allows the user to burn their dry herb at different temperatures for a different balance between taste and vapor density.
- Heating Chamber – Connected via a 510 Threaded Connection to the battery, the heating chamber holds the dry herb whilst vaporizing, providing a safe method to heat the dry herb. Commonly, the heating chamber with have a coil (producing the heat), followed by a plate/mesh and a ceramic dish on top (to hold your herb). When using a device; the battery/MOD heats the coil, this will start heating the base of the ceramic dish, which will heat the dry herb without combusting.
- Mouthpiece/Tip - Located at the top of the device, the mouthpiece/tip doesn't really have any special features. It's main purpose is to provide a decent amount of space between your lips and the heating chamber; ensuring when you use the device the vapor is not too hot.
How does a Dry Herb Vape Pen Work?
The process of a Dry Herb Vape Pen is extremely simple. Developed from much the same technology as other types of vape pens it functions almost identically to E-Liquid Vape Pens; with changes to the battery/MOD and Heating Chamber to allow high temperatures.
The main process of a Dry Herb pen is as follows; you pack the chamber, heat the device and take a hit, then repeat as necessary.
Although, some of the technology is the same, the process of dry herb vaping is significantly different from standard vaping. Here's a breakdown of using a dry herb pen and how to correctly use them:
- Prepare the device & herb – Before you use the device you'll want to prepare it and ensure everything is ready to go. Reaching temperatures of up to 350 Celsius if the slightest thing is wrong you could be left with quite a horrible flavor or taste. Clean the device, make sure nothing is left over from your last use. Use a grinder to break your Dry Herb down into tiny pieces; this will make it easier to heat.
- Loading the Chamber – Taking your pre grinded dry herb, open up access to the heating chamber in your dry herb Vape Pen; you can find instructions on how to do this in the user manual provided with the device. Gently load the finely ground herbs into the chamber of your dry herb Vape Pen, be careful not to overfill.
- Heat the Device – Now the device is packed and ready to go, all you need to do is heat the chamber. Depending on the device you may have to place it into a docking station, if you're using a portable device then simply turn it on. Once again, additional information on how to do this can be found in the user manual.
- Take a Hit – One the device is heated you're done, the last thing to do is take a hit. Depending on the size of the chamber/temperature you may be able to get a couple hits from the device before re-loading, always ensure you fully understand how many hits you can take before the dry herb is depleted.
- Cleaning up – Once you're done vaping, it's important to maintain the device and keep it clean. Open up the device again and ensure any residue in the chamber is removed, this will keep the device in full working order and removes the risk of burning of combusting any dry herb.
How to find the best Dry Herb Vape Pen for your Needs
Finding the best Dry Herb Vape Pen is down to your personal preference. Taking into consideration the components listed in the first paragraph of this Article, you'll want to find a dry herb that you enjoy the flavor of that also burns well.
Once you've found your preferred strain/type of dry herb you'll want to try different combinations when vaporizing it. Experiment with different temperatures and quantities until you find your perfect balance.
Now that you have your perfect dry herb and your perfect vaporizing temperature you can start looking at other components that can provide the balance that you need. For example; if you're found that a temperature of around 340 Celsius with a slightly drier herb with more THC, then you'll want to look at a mod that has an adjustable wattage and a chamber with a more rounded and well balanced heating area to ensure you're reaching every part of the herb.
Additionally, you'll want to look at the features that the dry herb Vape Pen has to offer you. Find out what is more important to you, would you prefer a larger chamber, or is a better vapor production and flavor more important? Here are the most important features you'll want to look for in your device:
- Vapor Production/Quality - Different quality heating chambers will provide a different vapor production and quality. Some chambers providing a more dense vapor, others opting for more flavor from the dry herb. You can control the vapor production and quality by vaping the herbs at different temperatures.
- Size of Chamber – The heating chamber found on dry herb vape pens come in all sorts of sizes. Identifying the perfect size of a chamber for you is important, not only will you be able to pack more herb into a chamber; it will also change the way the dry herb is vaporized. A tighter packed chamber, will take a lot more heat to vaporize.
- Wattage Compatibility – Each heating chamber found on a dry herb Vape Pen will have specific compatibility and temperatures that it can reach. You need to ensure you understand the wattage limits of your heating chambers, always ensure you're not going over the maximum wattage limit. Using a 510 connection there is a huge amount of customizability when it comes to the hardware you can put on your device, although your battery/MOD may be able to reach 80W your heating chamber may only be able to handle up to 40W.
When it comes down to it, finding the best dry herb vape pen for your need is extremely reliant on personal experience with different devices. The majority of the time, you'll try multiple devices, find one that you really like and just stick with it.
Why Choose Mig Vapor Dry Herb Vape Pens
Now that you have a better understanding of the features, hardware and functions that you can expect from a dry herb Vape Pen; you should be in a much better place to start looking for a dry herb vape pen to start using!
Mig Vapor have some of the best dry herb vape pens on the market, providing huge amounts of features, functionality and market leading hardware. Mig Vapor are extremely transparent when it comes to the hardware specifications of their devices, making them user friendly and great for even the most basic users. They have one of the largest online presences for selling vape pens of all types and categories.
Along with the transparency of Mig Vapors products they also have an extremely useful knowledge base which can be used to get information on products purchased form their website.
Here are some of the best Dry Herb Vape Pens provided by Mig Vapor, in no particular order:
- Matrix Dry Herb and Concentrates Vaporizer– Available from around $140, the Matrix Dry Herb Vape has a unique and portable feel to it. Considered one of the best portable dry herb vape pens on the market; the Matrix comes with a temperature scale of 300-435 Fahrenheit (increments by 1).
- Torpedo Dry Herb Vaporizer– Coming into the market at $89.95, the Torpedo Dry Herb pen is an extremely powerful and appealing device. Hosting a 2200mAh battery and 1.7ML Heating chamber, the Torpedo is bursting with functionality and performance.
- Black Sub Herb Dry Herb Tank – The Black Sub Herb is available from around $42.95 for the tank alone. This is one of the stealthiest tanks on the market, hosting some groundbreaking technology such as a new gold plated 510 connector, adjusted airflow and a large heating chamber.
Q: What is a Dry Herb Vape Pen?
A: Vape Pens are devices that heat up dry herbs into a vapor to inhale through the mouth.
Q: Does the Heating Chamber have to be Ceramic?
A: No, some devices have heating chambers with different materials. Although, ceramic is known to be the most effective and safest.