Vapers and Pets — Safety Tips for Smokers and Vapers who Care about Their Pets
If you ever read the labels on your e-juices, they clearly state: “keep away from children and pets”. This is because most e-juices contain nicotine, which, if consumed, can be extremely dangerous for kids as well as pets. One British vaper learned it the hard way a couple years ago. According to a story Dog Dies After Eating Electronic Cigarette Capsule published by Huffington Post, Keith Sutton, dropped a cartridge of e-juice on the floor, his 14-week old pup got hold of it, ended up consuming a little amount of the juice, and even though Keith took his beloved pup to the vet within a few minutes, the pup succumbed to the nicotine in her stomach.
At Mig Vapor, we know pets – especially our canine, feline, and avian friends – are family, and we care about your family. Being pet lovers ourselves, our heart goes out to the owner of the poor little pup. Although, media has used this, and some other stories to defame vaping, totally ignoring the carelessness of the owners. The question is: is vaping around your pets really dangerous? Let’s try to find out.
It is an established fact that second-hand smoking affects people pretty much the same way as it does the smoker. There are hundreds of dangerous chemicals in the smoke of the tobacco cigarettes, and studies show these can cause countless diseases such as lung diseases and heart problems, among pets. But the good thing is that researches have confirmed that e-cigarettes don’t have any of these chemicals. In fact, e-cigs are considered to be 95% less harmful than their shouldering counterparts. So, is vaping around your pets safe?
The answer is: yes, as long as you vape responsibly.
In fact, dogs usually love the smell of the vape and chase the clouds. Even some dog foods have PG in them, although it’s a subject of hot debate whether it’s a good ingredient or not. Cats are attracted to VG, however, since the e-juice also has PG – which is considered to be “generally safe”, but is believed to be not safe for cats particularly.
We love our pets, and a little caution can go a long way. Vaping is fun, and you should try to keep it that way, or a little carelessness can cause irrevocable damage. If you’ve pets, be a responsible owner and a responsible vaper.
How to recognize nicotine poisoning in your pets?
If you suspect that your pet has ingested nicotine (or any other poisonous substance for that matter), here’s how you can assess if a trip to the vet is in order. Carefully viewing your pet’s gums and tongue can indicate if they have eaten something hazardous. If the gums or tongue turns entirely or partly blue, purple, white, brick colored or extremely bright red, seek immediate veterinary attention. Some other signs of poisoning include higher pulse rate, high temperature, vomiting, diarrhea, panting, seizures, lethargy, blood in stool, nosebleed, and sudden loss of appetite.
So What Should I Do as a Vaper?
• In a case of any mishap, instantly call your vet or Pet Poison Helpline at 1-800-213-6680 (free of charge) and take your pet to the nearest hospital asap.
• Never allow your pets to lick the vapor you exhale, as it may contain nicotine.
• Always keep e-liquids away from your pets. Most e-juice bottles are child-proof, but pets can use their needle-sharp teeth to pierce through the packing. So, your biggest concern is to make sure they can’t get anywhere near the e-liquids. Always change cartridge away from your pets, as they can instantly pounce on it in case it falls down accidently.
• When not in use, lock up your e-cigs and vaporizers in a place inaccessible by your pets.
• While you can enjoy your vape around pets, but it’s better to vape away from them. Or at least make sure there is proper ventilation when you’re vaping.
• Even if you use an external charger to charge the batteries, your pets shouldn’t be in the same room.
Gift for pet parents from Mig Vapor
To show our love for your pets, Mig Vapor offers a massive discount on all of our products for pet parents. Just enter the coupon code “pets” and enjoy 10% site-wide discount.