Vaping and acne
What is vaping?
According to the definition, vaping is the process of inhaling vapor through mouth usually from an electronic device (which is an e-cigarette) that heats up and vaporizes liquid. In order to be able to better understand if vaping can really cause or even worsen your skin problems, one must know what one electronic cigarette consists of.
Ingredients of an electronic cigarette
Electronic cigarettes consist of water vapor, or the so-called e-liquid which is inhaled and exhaled by vapers. Unlike tobacco cigarettes, electronic cigarettes do not contain tobacco, but they do contain nicotine along with propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin nicotine, water, and flavourings. Why is this important? Well, these two chemicals are used to deliver the nicotine in the form of a fluid, and this is non-toxic thick liquid which is used in cosmetic products quite often.
Are electronic cigarettes really safe?
Even though it is said that vaping is much safer than smoking tobacco cigarettes, it cannot be said that it is completely safe to your health. However, it may be worth taking a look into the following researchers’ opinions:
- American Heart Association: Vaping can help smokers quit smoking, and vaporizers are less harmful than tobacco cigarettes.
- Public Health England: “e-cigarettes are around 95% less harmful than smoking”.
- Royal College of Physicians: “E-cigarettes appear to be effective when used by smokers as an aid to quitting smoking… However, the hazard to health arising from long-term vapor inhalation from the e-cigarettes available today is unlikely to exceed 5% of the harm from smoking tobacco”
To sum up all of the above mentioned scientific opinions, vaping has its benefits even though it is not completely safe for people’s health.
Vaping and acne
It is important to point out that there is no clear connection between vaping and acne. Opinions of researchers and the results of their work are different. Some of them claim that acne went away shortly after people quit tobacco smoking and turned to vaping, while on the other hand, some say that acne appeared on their skin shortly after they started using electronic cigarettes. What can be said for sure is that it is scientifically proven that tobacco smoking can cause and even worsen acne and other skin problems.
Ingredients of e-cigs, and those being nicotine, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, water, and flavorings are highly important here. These flavorings contain diacetyl, which is an artificial flavoring. According to a study conducted by Harvard researchers, diacetyl caused many respiratory problems by increasing oxidative stress. This directly leads to loss of bodily antioxidants and the clogging of skin pores. The researchers chose 51 different flavors of electronic cigarettes: 47 of them contained artificial flavors and 39 contained chemical diacetyl as well. Interestingly, all of the flavors which were chosen had youth as their target consumers.
Other causes of acne and skin problems may be the heavy metals. Electronic cigarettes contain these metals because of the presence of nickel, silver and tin in the cartridge and wires themselves. There are studies that found that e-cigarettes actually contained higher levels of the aforementioned three metals than regular cigarettes. The question that arises here is “How do the heavy metals influence acne?” The answer is by using up the antioxidants of the body and thus leading to skin inflammation.
Vaping and other skin problems
Unfortunately, despite the fact that vaping is far healthier than tobacco smoking; there are many other problems which can be caused by this habit.
- Dehydration – Propylene glycol found in electronic cigarettes uses up and holds water, leaving your body dehydrated. The key to having youthful skin is to keep it moisture, and knowing does not bring an advantage to vaping.
- Premature aging – This is directly connected to dehydration. Not having youthful skin means having wrinkles, skin irritation, inflammation – all of which work together to make your skin look older.
- Smoker lips – The wrinkles around someone’s mouth are a sign that the person is a smoker. It is the same with vaping, since you have to make exact moves to inhale the vapor as you do with tobacco cigarettes.
Vaping is definitely an easy way to quit smoking in general. But, is it really difficult to give such a bad habit and continue ruining your health?