18650 Battery Safety and Best Practices
A new vaper’s biggest fear is an e-cig explosion, as if the vape mod is a time bomb that can explode at any moment. So, do electronic cigarettes explode?
The answer is a clear “No.”
The lithium-ion batteries used in vape mods, however, can explode; but only when not handled properly. These are the same batteries used in the Galaxy Note 7 model recalled by Samsung.
So, should you be worried about the safety of your vape’s 18650 battery?
In recent years, the vendors have focused on improving the quality of lithium-ion batteries, and now the odds of an explosion have dropped to one in ten million. However, when an explosion occurs, anything from property damage to severe injury is in the cards. Therefore, you do not want to be that one person in ten million.
Fortunately, there are three simple things you need to do to avoid going through the ordeal of a battery explosion:
- Charge Your E-Cig Battery Safely
The first and foremost thing to do is to use only the charger that came with the kit, or the one recommended by the manufacturer. Using a charger other than one particularly designed for your vape batteries is the leading cause of the explosion.
Moreover, do not overcharge the battery, even if you are using the right charger. To avoid any risks, remove the batteries from the charger as soon as they’re fully charged. Although some new chargers offer the over-charging protection, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Use Your E-Cig Battery Safely
Most of the latest vape mods come with several built-in protections such as over discharge protection, reverse battery protection, which immensely decrease the chances of any explosions. However, to be on the safe side, always insert your batteries correctly and never over-discharge them.
Make sure you use the right batteries for your mod. For instance, if you are sub ohming at a high-wattage you should choose batteries with a high discharge rate since your mod will need a lot of power to match the low resistance of the coil and provide intense vaping experience. In other words, do some research before buying new 18650 batteries and make sure you choose the ones that are suited for your particular vape mod and vaping style.
- Store the Vsafety tips ape Mod Batteries Safely
Whether you are storing the vape batteries for a few hours or a few weeks, there are certain things that you need to keep in mind.
While most incidents of the explosions that have been reported occurred while the batteries were being charged, the second biggest cause is improper storage. First of all, never carry loose batteries in your pocket because they might short-circuit, especially if you have coins or any metal in your pocket.
Do not ever stack your batteries. Although buying a plastic storage case for your batteries is a very small investment, it can go a long way. Whenever your batteries are not in use, charge them to around 60% and then put them in a plastic case before putting them away in your drawers. It not only eliminates any risk of explosion but also increases the life of your batteries.
Always store your batteries away from direct sunlight, moisture or anywhere close to a flammable material. Also, make sure that they are out of reach of kids and pets.
Bonus safety tips
- Periodically check your battery for any visible signs of wear and tear. If you notice even the tiniest of peelings or other damage, instantly take the batteries out of the mod and dispose of them away. Using batteries that have dents or holes on the outer wrapping can exponentially increase the risk of explosion.
- Use a high-quality vape mod and high-quality batteries from reputable manufacturers only. No matter how carefully you follow the best practices for battery safety, if your batteries or vaping gear are not built according to the latest standards, things can go wrong.
- Clean the batteries with a tissue or soft cloth with a small amount of alcohol to remove any debris or dirt, every once in a while. In addition to ensuring safe functioning, it also increases the life and performance of your batteries.
Sometimes, taking the little safety measures can avoid extreme disasters. And when your property and your life are on the line, never take it lightly. Enjoy your vape, but not at the cost of risking your life.